Gir Somnath - Gir's tropical forest resembles an infinite sea of green.
Gir Somnath, one of Gujarat's newest additions and one of the most spectacular sites to visit in Gujarat, was carved out of the Junagadh District in 2013. The two locations are in the Saurashtra area, bordering the Arabian Sea in the south, and are well-known across the world for their spectacular natural beauty and centuries-old legacy, which is mentioned in the Rigveda and Gita.
Best time to visit: Oct-To-Mar
Things to do: Jungle Safari, Dive at the Arabian Sea, Jeep on an Elephant, Explore Mesmerizing Temples
HOW TO REACH GIR SOMNATH
- Flight - The nearest airport from somnath is Rajkot, situated at a distance of 195 km from the city. A number of flights fly to and from here, connecting the city with the various parts of Gujarat as well as the country.
- Rail - Gir Somnath lies on the Western Railway network of the Indian railways. The city is well connected with the rest of the country via a number of trains. There are many express and local trains that operate daily and are perfect for traveling from Ahmedabad to Gir Somnath.
- Road - Gir Somnath is linked to the rest of the country through a good road network. There is even a good network of National and State Highways connecting the city. The State Transport Corporation runs buses link Gir Somnath to all the major cities and towns of Gujarat and other states of the country.
HOW TO GET AROUND
- Local Bus - Somnath is a small place and mostly attracts tourists for its temples and beaches and thus doesn't have an extended public transport network. The area isn't big enough to require a local or intracity bus transport within the city as it is.
- Cab - Car Rentals are available from Clear Car Rental and other local services as well on an hourly or daily basis. Car rentals for both chauffeur-driven as well as self-driven options are available. These can be arranged at full day rates as well as half day rates.