Banaras - Place of Hindu Pilgrimage
The sacred city of Banaras (Varanasi) on the river Ganges is one of the oldest living cities in the world, a place where Shiva, the Lord of All, is said to have made his permanent home since the dawn of creation. Few Indian cities are as authentically Hindu and as a representation of the entire Hindu culture as Banaras.
Best time to visit: Jan-to-Dec
Things to do: Explore Varanasi Temples, Take a Holy Bath in Ganges, Evening Aarti Ceremony, Boat Ride in Ganges River
HOW TO REACH BANARAS
- Flight - The Varanasi airport has excellent connections to all of the country's major cities. One does not have to worry about how to arrive to Varanasi through plane due to its good connections. Get convenient flights from Delhi, Mumbai, and other places to Varanasi. Lal Bahadur Shastri Airport is the closest airport.
- Road - Any tourist can easily and affordably enter the city thanks to the Uttar Pradesh State Buses and the private bus services. It provides a solution to the question of how to drive to Varanasi.
- Train - The city primarily has two significant railway stations that link it to all of the major towns and cities in the nation. The Varanasi and Kashi railway stations are the two main railheads that provide everyone with simple access to the city.
HOW TO GET AROUND
- Cycle Rickshaw - At nook of every street, you can see auto rickshaws and cycle rickshaws. Travelling through cycle rickshaws is really very interesting and of course, very cheap as compared to auto rickshaws.
- Bus - There are lots of mini buses plying on the road of Varanasi for making local transport very easy and cheap.
- Ferry - If you want to cross the holy Ganges, then you have to hire River streamer or small boats. This trip will cost you INR100 per trip.